top of page

Packing for college? Don’t forget legal documents

When packing for college, it’s important to pack the essentials for your kids: Books, mini-fridge, ramen — and legal documents?! As parents, the ability to obtain information and participate in medical care or financial transactions ends in most states once your child turns 18. Fortunately, there are legal documents that will give you the ability to assist your child in the event an emergency arises In a Medical Emergency, a Health Care Proxy which includes a HIPPA Release (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) would allow health care providers so speak with you and give you access to your child’s medical records. Most importantly, it can allow you to make medical decisions on your child’s behalf if they cannot make decisions for themselves. A Durable Power of Attorney (POA), allows your child to appoint you as their agent to take care of business on their behalf. This is particularly helpful if your child is studying in another part of the state, studies abroad, or becomes incapacitated. With a POA you would be able to access bank accounts, pay bills, sign tax returns or deal with tuition of financial aid issues. Our firm has more than thirty years of experience preparing these important documents giving our clients confidence and peace of mind as their students head off to college. Call 516-682-8220 or email if you need immediate help. Visit our website for more information

bottom of page